Zextras Drive is a Zimbra component that serves as both a full-featured file storage system coupled with the Zimbra WebClient and a replacement for the former “Briefcase” component.
- Upload, manage, and download files from the frontend
- Files should be organised into navigable directories.
- File preview
- Make files “preferred” for easy access.
- Custom notes (descriptions) can be added to files.
- Distribute files to internal users.
- Share files with other users (NYI)
- Zimbra Docs integration
- File lookup
- Navigation based on folders
- Simple “stateful” navigation
- Option to store files on separate Zimbra volumes on the backend
- CLI for zxsuite drive
The distinctions between Briefcase and Drive
When it comes to file storage, navigation, sharing, and item deletion, Zextras Drive deviates from standard mailbox-driven behaviour. See the appropriate paragraph for each feature for a detailed discussion of the distinctions and the features themselves.
Installation of Zimlet
The com_zextras_drive Zimlet may be launched from the Zextras Administration Zimlet’s “Core” section.
After the Zimlet has been deployed and enabled, no setup on the mailboxd side is required.
Compatibility with browsers
The browsers listed below are known to fully support all Zextras functionalities.
Items labelled “Limited” are only compatible with the browser’s two prior stable versions.
App for mobile devices
Zextras Drive mobile apps are available for both Android and iOS.
Uploading and downloading is a feature that is described in detail below.
To upload a file to Drive, either click the “Upload” button above the file list or drag & drop a file from your computer to the main Drive window.
To download a file from Google Drive, right-click on it and choose “Download”:
Renaming any file or folder in Drive is as simple as right-clicking on it and selecting the “Rename” option from the context menu.
Briefcase contents are part of the folder and item hierarchy of the mailbox, whereas Drive has its own internal folder structure and navigation. Navigating between Drive folders is done via the Navigation Bar on top of the UI rather than a tree view, and folders are shown above files in the main area of the UI.
In addition to the conventional folder-based navigation, there is a “Quick Access” menu on the left side of the UI that allows you to rapidly examine the following categories of items:
Items marked with a “Star” appear in the right-click context menu.
Items that have recently been modified, ordered by most recently edited.
provided to me
Items that have been shared by other users.
I shared it.
Items distributed to other users
Marked for removal
Items that have been designated for deletion
To make a folder in Drive, click the “New” button above the file list and then choose “Folder File and Folder Naming.”
In Drive folders and files, the following characters are not permitted:
- Slash /
- a backslash
- Is there a question mark?
- The plus symbol +
- * asterisk
- The % symbol
- The chosen file’s name
- The file preview (or a format icon for unsupported formats)
- The right-click context menu contains all action items.
- Disseminate information
- Information creation and editing
- A “Description” field that may be customised
- driveMaxVersionRetentionDays: the maximum number of days to keep a version. Values ranging from 0 (no time limit) to 365. The default value is 90.
- driveMaxVersionNumber: the maximum number of versions that can be stored. When this point is reached, any newer version will take the place of the oldest, as in a FIFO queue. 0 (no limit) or greater. The default value is 20.
- Run zxsuite config global set attribute driveMaxVersionRetentionDays value 120 to set the maximum retention length to 120 at the global level.
- Run zxsuite config account set email@example.com attribute driveMaxVersionNumber value 5 to set the maximum number of saved versions to 5.
- Run zxsuite config global empty attribute drive to reset the maximum retention time at the global level.MaxVersionRetentionDays